"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." D&C 84:88

Friday, January 31, 2014

Reaquainting with the Lekgoati's

This is a fun story.  Elder Lekgoati (pronounced La-quat-te) is the grandson of the Branch President in the Soweto Branch when we lived in South Africa.  Sister Thomas and I worked with President Lekgoati when we were the Stake Young Men's and Young Women's President in the Johannesburg Stake some 30 years ago.  We attended the Soweto Branch as part of our stake assignments and for Branch Conferences.

When we attended we would travel to Soweto but the Branch met at a School just off the Western Bypass next to the Coal Fired Power Plant. I am not sure if I could find this school again if I tried.  It was at a Soweto Branch Conference while the Branch Choir was singing "How Great Thou Art" that our Heavenly Father reached down and touched my heart giving comfort and solace to my soul following a heart wrenching loss.  I will never forget the feelings I had as our Savior put his loving arms around me and as peace began to re-enter my soul. I will give gratitude forever to the members of that choir for the wonderful harmonized voices singing "How Great Thou Art" in that humble Branch Conference.

President Lekgoati was a wonderful example of God fearing man who was interested in doing “much good”.  He was always interested in the youth of his Branch. It is thrilling to be in the mission field serving with his grandson.  What a blessing and a pleasure to reacquaint ourselves with his family in this way.

1 comment: