"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." D&C 84:88

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

We welcome Elder Malpage into East London

Sister Thomas meets Elder Malpage for the first time in the mission field as he steps off the bus in East London.  The last time we were well acquainted with Elder Malpage was when he was five years old in the Sandton Ward.  How the time has passed. 

A bit later this week over dinner we reminisced with Elder Malpage and told him our story of his parents.  I am not sure this is 100 percent factual but this is the way I remember it happening.  His mother moved into the Sandton Ward where I was the Bishop.  She had recently returned from a mission.  His father came up from Durban to visit and came to our ward for a while.  When he saw Wendy Greyling for the first time he was dumb struck.  I can remember asking him why he would not go over and ask her out.  He stood there and just shock his head saying he did not have a chance because she was just so beautiful.  He felt he would not have a chance to “get his foot in the door", to use an American expression.  After a bit of encouragement from us and other ward members he did muster up his courage, he did ask her out, dating commenced and a temple marriage followed and now all these years later here we are in East London, in the mission field, as their son steps off the bus.  It is a wonderful story.  As I told this story to Elder Malpage, I wish you could have seen the smile on his face.  It was priceless. 

We saw Sister Malpage when we were in Johannesburg to go to the temple and we visited the Randburg Ward.  She is still as beautiful as ever.  I think Brother Malpage should still feel very lucky.  In fact, he should feel like the second luckiest man alive.  First place is reserved for me!

You can also see Elder Ndlovu and Elder Judd arriving as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment