"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." D&C 84:88

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Qunu - Nelson Mandela's Village where he grew up

As we drove back to East London from Mthatha after Church, we stopped in Qunu which is where Nelson Mandela grew up.  There is a museum at the top of the hill next to his childhood home.  These are the scenes he would have seen as he grew up.  This school is the primary school that he attended.  There is a nice story told on the wall of the building about his youth and a rock slide and pool in the river he swam in as a child.  It was a beautiful winter day in South Africa.

I had to beg the people at the Steers for a glass of ice.  It being the Sabbath, I could not buy a drink and I had a bottle of cool drink in the car.  They were kind enough to give me a glassful for free.  You can’t really see them but in the car behind me the people got a big laugh of a person taking a selfie of himself and glass of ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment