"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." D&C 84:88

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Elder Thomas teaches with the Queenstown Elders

We have had a series of very sick elders.  This stomach flu has had several of our Elders throwing up and with diarrhea.  It seems like when we get one Elder free of it and feeling better it brings someone else down.  The bug is striking a bit closer to home this time as Sister Thomas feels terrible and is now throwing up.  We also have one of the missionary cars in the body shop and one of the bicycles in to repair the main peddle bearings which have been worn out.  When the Elders called and ask me to come and teach with them it was a no brainer.  I was glad to leave Sister Thomas home in bed recovering when I could also go help transport the elders to their teaching appointments.

I went with Elders Ramat & Lawson and then later Elders Slabbert & Ellingson.  It was a wonderful experience to go and teach with Elder Ramat and Lawson.  We taught the Plan of Salvation to a member’s sister who is investigating the Church.  She had come prepared and had read everything that the Elders had assigned her.  It was a blessing to see someone hunger after knowledge.  Then we stopped at a long time investigator where we pleaded with her to “Come Follow the Savior”. 

Then we went back to the Elders’ flat and we traded and I picked up Elders Slabbert & Ellingson and we went and taught a mother and her daughter about prayer.  I had the opportunity to express my testimony to this mother using Moroni 10:3-5 and challenged her to have prayer as a family.  We also challenged her to read Alma chapter 18.

Pictures sometimes speak for themselves.  In this case some explanation is in order.  Elder Ramat and Lawson are jokingly picking the site for a future Stake Center at the edge of their area do to their prolific efforts.  As I try to take a “hand held tripod” picture of the three of us they go funky on me.  The other two are pictures of the Elders showing gratitude that they are not walking to their appointments because of the broken car or broken bike.

Lastly I took Elders Slabbert and Ellingson back to our apartment where we found Sister Thomas surviving on the couch with some of the 7UP I had purchased for her earlier in the day.  We took the opportunity to give Sister Thomas a blessing.  It was nice to see the elders scrambling for their "white books" to make sure they could help correctly.  She was finally feeling just a bit better however it took the Elders a bit longer than one day to get over the bug.  Hopefully she will recover quickly.  It is not fun seeing the “Love of Your Life” suffering.  (If I knew how to hash tag something I would have done it for that phrase)  

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bishop, i mean Elder Thomas. ha ha ha
    Great to hear of your stories on mission. i totally relate with the jippo guts!! i was up at 1am with my oldest son. Coming out both ends. NOT GREAT, so Sister Thomas, i hope you get better soon!!
    i hope to see you guys while you are on missoin!! This blog will definitely keep us up to date as to where you are, so hopefully we can catch up some time soon!!!

    Love the jnr Haskell's :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truan, I did not notice this comment until now. Nice to hear from you. We will definitely have to catch up sometime over the next 14 months. Please give my best to your entire family.

    ReplyDelete