"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." D&C 84:88

Saturday, May 10, 2014

At the Cemetery

While funerals are never considered to be a happy or fun events, Grandpa Thomas’ funeral and grave site service was a peaceful and happy time for our family.  The process of the honor guard and the folding of the American flag help us appreciate the service my Dad rendered in the United States Navy just at the end of World War II.  Having all our family around and the fact that all my dad’s grand children had the opportunity to be pall bearers came because of his wonderful request. 

It was my sister Melanie's suggestion that we give everyone a helium filled balloon so they could let it go at the cemetery.  At first it seemed a strange thing to do when she first suggested it, but at the time it was a peaceful representation of the departure of my Dad.  I will eternally thank her for this suggestion.  I hope that my grandkids will remember this one thing if they remember nothing else about the funeral.  Colin Campbell's dedication of the grave site was special as he called for the ground to be hallowed and to be a place where family members can come to seek peace and solace.

No comments:

Post a Comment