"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." D&C 84:88

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Grandpa Thomas' Funeral

There was a short viewing just prior to the funeral where we held a family prayer.  I was asked to say this prayer which was a considerable honor for me.  One thing that I can remember asking for was that the family have no regrets with respect to their earthly experiences with Grandpa Thomas.  I prayed for all family members to “Let any regrets go” so they could keep and cherish the relationship developed and the memories of those special times they experienced with my Dad. 

All my Brothers and Sister spoke at the funeral.  We were limited to 5 minutes each which was a real challenge.  It seemed that each of my brothers and sisters shared a personal experience they had with Dad and when combined these experiences yielded a good description of the kind and loving person that my dad was.

The Bishop and Stake President also spoke and expressed thanks to the family for sharing Dad with the members of the ward and stake during the periods that he served.  Dad served as a Bishop for 5 years and then as a member of the Stake Presidency for 17 years then later as the Stake Patriarch.  He was well known and beloved by the members of the church in the area. 

I was pleased because at different times I saw all my grand kids go up to the casket and look longingly at their Great Grandfather.  You can see one of Trisha’s sons and her daughter (Chaz and Colbie) having a look and saying goodbye.  Byron and Melanie take a moment and give comfort to each other.  They carried a great deal of the burden of organizing the funeral and making the arrangements with the mortuary.  I am grateful to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment