"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." D&C 84:88

Monday, May 5, 2014

Unfortunate News about my Dad from my Family at Home

It has been a long night of phone calls, emails, texts and some FaceTime as we discover that my Dad has been taken into the hospital.  When you get a call from your sister and they are discussing the coming decisions about respirators and when to turn them on and when to eventually turn them off you know it is a serious problem.  As I went through all these discussion I thought of this picture with my Dad at his special fishing spot in Southern Utah.  It has never been very real that I will live a portion of my life without my Dad's wonderful influence.

I was able to FaceTime with my Dad thanks to my daughters being at the hospital with their smart phones, wireless networks and the internet.  I was able to tell my Dad just how much I loved him and let him know that his example is a shining star for me.  Literally, he was an unmovable beacon on the hill.  I had the chance to tell him that much of what I am is because of his endless personal example on how to become a man, how to work, how to be a loving husband, father and committed priesthood holder.  I owe much of what I am to him.

I was able to see him and tell him this while on FaceTime and be able to see his reaction.  As was his life on earth and with his undying faith, the last words that he spoke to me were with absolute conviction.  He said simply; “I will see you in Heaven”.  I will hold these words as a special command from my father and will act accordingly so that his request will come to past.  I asked him to find my son and give him a hug for me and he said he would care for him until I arrived.  It was a feeling I will never forget and pray the special feelings I had then will not fade from my memory over time.

This morning I spoke to President Wood seeking his guidance on what we should do.  He gave us good guidance and we sought his permission to return home as quickly as we could.  This permission was granted by President Wood and was also approved by the Area President.  We are grateful.  Sister Thomas made travel plans and we began to drive to East London for the trip home.  We departed at 1:00 on Monday to catch the flights.  East London -  Johannesburg - New York - Salt Lake City.

No comments:

Post a Comment